Thursday, July 8, 2010

A is for Alzheimer's

My little sister is doing an alphabet blogging challenge, so I will join her. Here we go...

A is for Alzheimer's

If you've read my blog, you know that is an easy one. My life revolves around my immediate family, our business and my mother-in-law, who has Alzheimer's. What other A is there right now?

Let me just be honest and raw this time. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. It takes away your loved one slowly, not physically, but in every other way. The person you knew disappears from the inside out. I wish I could be poetic and inspiring about it, but I can't.

Alzheimer's forces you to grieve your loved one long before they physically leave you. She was a strong, independent woman conquered adversity and took on the world alone as a young lady. Knowing she couldn't have children, after marrying the love of her life, she fearlessly adopted a toddler and a 6-month-old boy. She raised her sons right and loved them unconditionally. She thought of me as her own daughter, but usually can't remember how I am related to her anymore.

Alzheimer's stinks. Boooooo! Hopefully B will be a little brighter. I apologize.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dody,

    I know your sister Jamie from a brief stint in Madison, WI. Excited to read your A-Z challenge! Great job so far, even on such a tough subject.

    ReplyDelete