Monday, February 1, 2010

Going Green in Little Steps


I feel a responsibility to the planet to do my part to, as the kids sing, "Reduce, Reuse and Recycle." But, my family is not obsessive, just conscious and responsible.

I turn out lights around the house all the time and name the kids "Energy Captains" to help me with this quest. They also help by closing the exterior house door quickly, turning off the water when they brush their teeth, and using clothes and blankets to manipulate their body temperature long before turning up the air-conditioning or heat.

I try to use eco-friendly products, like baking soda and vinegar to clean before going to their chemical replacements. I think it helps that I don't clean too frequently either. It's true, I am not an obsessive cleaner and I like to think the environment is better because of it.

I even switched to reusable canvas bags for groceries. I have only four bags, so sometimes (because I am shopping for six) I need to use the stores supply of paper or plastic. Still, my usage of said items has definitely been reduced!

A little bit at a time we are playing our part, and every little step matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment