Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Gift of Orchid

I saw my stepdad yesterday. He's about 4 weeks post open-heart surgery and doing very well. Wishing I was in more of a position to help him and take care of him, I bought him a book. You see, my kids and I have been sick for a month and I cannot bring sickness around him. I haven't been able to help. I thought the least I could do it help his sanity by giving him something intriguing to read. He's enjoyed Grisham in the past, so I found a new collection from him of short stories. Just as well since my stepdad's post-surgery attention span is suffering.

So there I was trying to take care of him, love him, when he surprised me with a Valentine's Day gift. My birthday is the day after V-day, but he clarified, this was not for my birthday, it was for Valentine's Day!

I am a novice gardener, but one who reads and studies and dwells in my gardens. I love my flowers. They are absent in winter. It can be very depressing.

He gave my my very first orchid for Valentine's Day. It is a very clear symbol to me of his unwavering support, love and mindfulness of me. It is a very clear representation of his humility, authenticity and generosity.

My stepdad "knows" me. He has peered at my heart and knows how to communicate with it, even though we have never found or made enough time to cultivate this beautiful relationship as much as we should.

I know the orchid won't last forever, but I know it is one gift I will never, ever forget. I am so thankful God put this man in my life. It is a confirmation of God's love, support and mindfulness of me. He knew I needed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment