Saturday, January 16, 2010

My House Was Clean Yesterday

"Yesterday" was just after my little sister visited. She cannot sit, unless she is reading, studying, computing. So while here for the holidays, she cleaned to keep busy. And... my house needed it. Of course she didn't get to everything, but she was a catalyst. My house actually did get clean, except for the boys bathroom. Much to my chagrin, a holiday visitor wandered in there. Thankfully she is gracious and tactful, and she dismissed my horror and excessive apologies. Anyway, I digress.

We actually tackled every room (save the boys bathroom) with success. So, my house was clean yesterday. Today it is, once again, screaming to the world that "Four children live here!"

The amount of papers the boys bring home from school is insane! I used to save them. The papers are evidence of their learning and maturing as well as creativity and uniqueness. It was so hard to part with them. "Was" is the key word. Desperation sank in once all three boys were in elementary school and the papers they brought home started flying into the recycle bin. It was a survival requirement.

Many times I've had to say to one of them, "I don't know where that paper is." This is not a lie, because usually by the time they ask, the recycle truck has come and carted them away. Who knows where that paper is now. I admit there are times where I've thrown out things they needed. They have learned to become patient with me as I write notes to their teachers explaining my errors. Still, despite all my effort, pieces of paper are seemingly everywhere.

That's just the paper though. What about the floors? I think it's fair to say that my floors are sometimes clean. However, it only lasts as long as no living creature enters that room. Once the breach occurs, incredibly crumbs, hair and sand are everywhere. It is actually quite amazing how instantaneously this happens.

Did I mention my three boys? Do I need to tell you what the toilets and floors beneath look like and what odor accompanies? Thank goodness for the new cleaning wipes. I can only imagine how my life would smell without them.

Dishes.... toys... cloths... shoes... stuff... pillows... matchbox cars... books... this stuff is all over my floors! How are we supposed to sweep or vacuum?

It may sound like our house is filthy, but we DO clean, often. The problem is only 1-2 rooms can be clean at any given moment while the other 8 are being used. Then... rotate. It is a perpetual tale of soil and stuff.

If you ever have the resolve to enter our abode, I will apologize. I cannot help it. And, you'll probably hear me reminisce... "My house was clean yesterday. I'm sorry you missed it."

No comments:

Post a Comment