Thursday, January 21, 2010

Modern Marvel-Us

I have been witness to a medical miracle. Actually, it's become a fairly routine surgery, but I am still completely amazed.

My wonderful stepfather had open-heart surgery one week ago. His chest was cut open, his sternum broken, a valve replaced with a pig valve. He was put back together and went home only 6 days later. Perhaps we have become immune to the amazingness of events such as these. We have become desensitized to the marvel of medicine. It happens everyday and it is no longer a big deal in our society.

Well, it's a big deal to me! My stepfather is alive! His God-given valve had failed him. His heart was enlarging as it labored to compensate for the valve that was refusing to work. He was napping twice a day and was too tired to shovel, go for walks, anything that used to be a regular part of his active life-style.

He now has a second chance to finish his life with strength, energy and zest. He has been given countless more years with his daughters and grandchildren. Isn't this marvelous? Isn't this miraculous?

And that's not all. Only one and a half years ago, my father's life was spared by robotic arms (controlled by the surgeon) that, with unimaginable precision, removed his cancerous prostate. "You have cancer that will kill you. Not a problem. Lay down here, go to sleep and we'll delicately and intelligently remove it for you so that you will be healthy and live many years to come."

Only 100 years ago, even less, the world would have been buzzing at the news. These surgeries would have been on the front page of every newspaper across the globe.

Maybe it's just as common as a plane ride these days, but I for one am marvelling. Along with my amazement, I am grateful beyond expression that my dads are here. Doctors & scientists, I invite you to continue to marvel us.

No comments:

Post a Comment