Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No Rest for the Weary

I should be sleeping now, but I haven't been good at that for the past few days. There's a lot going on this week; things that have been keeping my mind from resting.

I've been running a business, with my husband, out of our home office for that past 15 years. Each year the business has done better than the previous year, until the economy crashed in 2008. I would have gotten a job outside the home a year ago, to supplement us during this rough patch, but we had a big surprise that postponed that. A baby.

So this week I stumbled upon a highly desireable part-time position with the local city beautification committee. What?! I've been interested in this non-profit organization for years. I don't have a current resume. Get to work!

With the help of my little sister's resources, wit and fabulous writing/editing skills, the resume is ready to be sent out first thing in morning.

Perhaps more responsible for my sleep malady is my mother-in-law. But it's not what you think. Her husband died three years ago. She did alright on her own for a while, but over the last year, her memory has been suffering. It had been slowly declining, but this week, paranoia and confusion took center stage.

These first hand experiences with her are hard to process. They are not peaceful. They are ridden with anxiety for her and me, and her sons. I'm upset and I can't sleep.

I know there comes a time when we all have to take care of our parents, but it's coming early for me and my hubby. We are in our late thirties, but his mom is in her mid-eighties. Our kids are in elementary school and we have a baby. And, I may be starting a part time job. How will we manage this? We don't feel ready for this, but there is no choice.

I will be praying for wisdom and patience for all of us. It's a season of life that we'll have to navigate one step at a time. And the next step for me is sleep. Lights out... I'm hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment