Saturday, November 28, 2009

S.O.T. (Save Our Turkey)

When I was kid, I loved holiday traditions. And I was miffed if things changed. As an adult, I know that traditions must evolve, things change, we change, and the unexpected happens.

This year, the unexpected was my husband and I, and all four of our kids had the flu. Not only was going to someone else's house, or having relatives over, out of the question, we weren't even going to be strong enough to sit around the dinner table together.

After breaking the news to the kids, they made it crystal clear what tradition must be honored. There must be a turkey, and he must have a name. You see, my Dad unintentionally started a tradition over a decade ago that my immediate family will likely keep alive for decades to come. It is the "Name The Turkey Contest."

We weren't going to have thanksgiving at my house this year, so I had no turkey, no potatoes, no stuffing. With a fever of 100 and a headache that just wouldn't let up, I took my Tylenol and made my way to the grocery store. I would have rather been in bed, but my kids needed a Turkey.

I remember one birthday of mine a few years ago. My husband told the kids to say happy birthday to me, but, there were no gifts and no cake. My youngest said, "It's not your birthday, there is no cake!" So this time I understood, it would not be Thanksgiving without a turkey.

With the turkey in the oven, the contest began. (I was still wishing I could be in bed!) Modern technology allowed us a contest that included participants from 3 cities in WI, plus, relatives celebrating in Florida, California and Arizona. Entries were coming in via text message, cell phones and email.

My little family sat down in the living room, in our jammies, under blankets with our minimal turkey dinner and we cast the final votes. The winning name and contestant were announced in the fashion that the entries came in. The kids were content and satisfied.

I wouldn't realize until 2 days later, after the flu-fog cleared, how apropos the winning name was; S.O.T. (Save Our Turkey), entered by Tommy, 6 years old. Indeed, Thanksgiving was an unexpected day of fever and coughing and napping, but our turkey and naming tradition were saved. It was Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment