Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let's Get Naked

I was at a pop-culture marvel this weekend, an indoor water park. We took the kids, and they all had a blast. The water activities are certainly fun.

You know what else is fun? People watching. It was fun for a little while at least, until I couldn't stop myself from noticing everyone was nearly naked. They had swimming suits on, yes, but really that is almost naked. Then I felt weird about it. People watching wasn't fun anymore, it was disturbing. I saw tattoos, hair in odd places, too much hair, skin rolls, skin indentations, etc.

Then I wondered what everyone would look like with dry, combed hair and some real clothes on. They would look much nicer, I thought, and I'd feel less awkward looking at them. Yes, I'd be more comfortable for sure. I didn't like seeing every one's faults. I like the facade that clothes and make-up give.

Is this how we like are relationships too? I pondered. Do we really want to see every one's blemishes and scars, or the effects of life trials? Or would we rather put on a happy face and present ourselves in the easy-to-look-at category.

In the land of Facebook and Twitter and texting, we present the superficial layers of ourselves. Who goes deep anymore? Who wants to? It's awkward and uncomfortable and we want to look away. But we will suffer from this deficit eventually. We need each other. We need honesty and vulnerability. So, let's not be judgemental or uncomfortable, let's get real, let's take off our clothes. And when we do, I'll try not to keep my eyes closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment