Sunday, August 22, 2010

V is for Vinegar


Vinegar is sour. It smells bad. Who on earth would like vinegar? I do.


First I loved vinegar as a crucial ingredient to my mom's cucumber salad recipe. It's so simple. Cucumber, onions, celery salt, Miracle Whip, vinegar, sugar (dill if desired). Yum! Without the vinegar it would be a flop.


At my 100+ year-old house, we did not have a dishwasher. We renovated the kitchen 3 years ago and added one. I thought this was my saviour. Not. The dishes came out with white splotches and streaks and film every single time, no matter what rinse agent or detergent I tried.


Then, one day, my friend Ann told me about putting vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher. I really thought this sounded ridiculous, so I didn't try it for several months. Still, after those months, the dishes has the same problems. I was disillusioned and so very disappointed.

Then I remembered the vinegar idea. It felt like my last hope. I dumped around (eye-balled it) 1/4 cup of vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher, waited for the cycle to run it's course and...

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." The angels sang. My dishes looked beautiful. Not spots. No streaks. No white hue. Clean, through and through.

Hip, hip, hooray for vinegar, no dishwasher should go without.

2 comments:

  1. Aaahhh I love vinegar! I definitely use it to get the really strong kitchen smells off my hands (no, I don't like smelling like garlic for days, thanks).

    I don't know if you have a garbage disposal, but ours sometimes gets smelly, and vinegar makes that go away too. I use it to clean a lot of things (especially in the bathroom) because it's very cheap- a good natural alternative to bleach.

    In the winter you can put a little bit on car windows to keep them from freezing too.

    It also gets gum out when you get it on your clothes. Don't ask me how often I use THAT taking the Metro all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great additional tips! Thanks Jamie! Vinegar, the unsung hero.

    ReplyDelete