Saturday, August 21, 2010

U is for Ultrasound

Who knows why I am writing about this, since I have no experience with it. Well, not "no" experience. I did have one ultrasound a long time ago. That's it. One in my entire life. I don't really remember much except that I hated the huge drink I had to have ahead of time, subsequently having to pee forever, while I waited for the technician to come and she never did, until she finally did and pee was welling up behind my eyes, and I waited longer than I can possibly make this sentence run on! -deep breathe-

I have been pregnant 6 times, and I've only had one ultrasound, which was 6 years before I ever became pregnant in the first place. I has a fluid-filled cyst that grew to the size of a grapefruit and was removed via laparoscopy.

All of my pregnancies have been handled by a midwife who allowed me to forgo all unnecessary ultrasounds. And since all of my last four pregnancies have been healthy, there was no need. (My two first pregnancies ended before an ultrasound was even thought of.)

I hear many, many mothers talk about the wonder of the ultrasound; the excitement, the sex-foretelling, the solidifying of reality. Oddly, or not, I have never felt like I missed out on anything. Not seeing a somewhat nondescript grainy image on a monochromatic screen might be amazing to some, but my babies and I were just fine without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment