Sunday, April 25, 2010

May Baskets - The Joy of Giving

I was reminded recently of the tradition of leaving May Baskets on someone's doorstep on May 1st. Beautiful spring flowers, maybe with a sweet treat, left anonymously. No glory, no thanks, just the joy of giving.

It's a shame that so many traditions like this have fallen to the wayside. I'm not going to preach about how busy we are on the internet, emailing, on the phone, texting, working, running to and fro. But, I wish our society wasn't on the track of getting more and more self-absorbed and used to the short-cuts of life that technology provides.

I applaud my sisters for continuing to send hand written notes and cards through the mail. Those touch my heart in ways that texts and emails never seem to be able to do. And I know a basket left on my door would warm my soul in the same way.

I think May Baskets are in my family's future. I'd like to create and deliver some with my children. (Try this link for May Basket ideas for kids.) Perhaps a few of us can keep the beautiful, selfless, giving traditions alive.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post. I have not thought about May Baskets in a long time! And I think those simple but highly personal gifts mean a lot. Note-writing was a big thing at Wellesley (yes, in 2009), and it went a long way to lift our spirits. Coming home after a long day to find a pretty note on my dorm door, or just getting a cute card in the mail was a HUGE uplift.

    Anyway, I just loved this post.

    ReplyDelete