Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Dollar Days - The Joy of Giving

Today was my family's second annual Dollar Store shopping extravaganza.  Last year, as I tried to think of ways to allow the kids to give more without breaking the bank, it popped into my head...  The Dollar Store.  They could each pick out and buys gifts for all the important people in their lives for $10-15.


The items range from pink snow globes to chintzy flashlights; "diamond" paperweights to highlighting pens.  Sometimes the gifts they pick are quite strange, yet somehow they still fit the person they are intended for.  The kids are giving and they want to.  Shopping with them is really a priceless sight. Granted, the dollar stores stress me out a little (my kids will never forget the time I flipped out at the check-out and accused the cashier of stealing a dollar from me - disclaimer - I was pregnant!), especially at the holidays, but it is shadowed by the glow of my kids buzzing about with the joy of giving in their hearts.

Last year, everyone who received a trinket or other cheaply made item from said store loved it.  It didn't matter if it was something they would ever want or need, it mattered that their, Godson, Grandson, Nephew thoughtfully picked out a gift for them, because he wanted to.  Because he loved them.  Because he understood that Christmas was about loving and giving.  I'm thinking this year will be the same.

Merry Christmas!  Happy Giving!

1 comment:

  1. you know that i love you guys do this, but i'll just say it again <3

    ReplyDelete